Aiming to keep my dirt-dwelling life simple, special and sweet

So much you can do with Pillsbury pizza crust

Although I posted below about eating more fruits and veggies, I slip into abandon when it comes to Pillsbury's pizza crust and all that it can do. 

I prefer the thin crust

 Preheat the oven to 450 degrees, and pop open the can. Roll out the dough into a large rectangle (I use a cookie sheet as the work surface) and decide to cut in half for two "hot pockets" (as my husband names them) or one big one. 


For fillings, you can choose whatever you want. That's why I love a quick meal with the crust. Here's what I've had success with, and post any other ideas you may have. 


Breakfast Hot Pocket
I scramble a few eggs, while I prepare the dough. My preference is to divide the dough in half, and make two separate hot pockets (one for now, one for later). In this recipe, I will share approximations for measurements b/c you really can use and layer as much or as little as you want. 


Layer in order:
  1. Cream cheese spread on dough 
  2. Shredded cheddar cheese 
  3. Cooked bacon or ham or prosciutto 
  4. Scrambled eggs
  5. Optional: a spice, I like to use Old Bay Seasoning
Starting at one end, slowly roll up the dough pulling the sides in as you roll so the stuffings do not come out. If you find that holes occur, just pull the dough back together. You won't hurt anything.  Place on baking sheet and bake at 450 until the top of the dough is golden brown (about 10 minutes, or so). 


Spaghetti Hot Pocket
Brown ground meat (I like to use venison, but beef or turkey works, too) and preheat oven to 450 degrees.


Layer in order:
  1. Spaghetti sauce, just up to the edges
  2. Shredded cheese (I like to use cheddar, but mozz would work too)
  3. Optional: sliced green pepper (I include it in big slices b/c I like the flavor it creates, but do not eat the pepper)
  4. Ground meat, as much as you want (but remember that you do have to close it, so just one layer of meat)
Starting at one end, slowly roll up the dough pulling the sides in as you roll so the stuffings do not come out. If you find that holes occur, just pull the dough back together. You won't hurt anything.  Place on baking sheet and bake at 450 until the top of the dough is golden brown (about 10 minutes, or so). 


Sweet Sloppy Joe Hot Pocket

For the filling on this one, prepare Rachael Ray's slopppy joe recipe. You will most likely have left over joe, but that's a good thing. This recipe is also good on top of open-faced buns with cheddar cheese on top. My husband asked me to roll these sloppy joes up in pizza dough, and it was gobbled up with rave reviews. Enjoy!


http://www.rachaelrayshow.com/food/recipes/sloppy-maple-bbq-turkey-joes/

No comments: