There's only one thing to make with crab meat - crab cakes. And although I love the Southern MD melted butter and pan fried variety, I turned to my online friend, Gina, for a skinny recipe. In her crab cakes, red pepper and low-fat Ritz crackers make the filling along with some egg and cilantro.
I chose Gina's recipe for oven baked onion rings which were fantastic. I'm going to include the links here because I really didn't change too much. For what I did change, I've noted below the links.
Baked Lump Crab Cakes with Red Pepper
- I did not use scallions, but I did use onion salt instead of regular salt
- I did not make or use the accompanying sauce - I really liked the flavor of the cakes
- I used a yellow onion, which after cooking, was oh-so sweet
- I did not have corn flakes so I crushed up some of my husband's Special K cereal
- My local grocery store was out of buttermilk so I soaked the onion rings in milk instead - yet, I found that I needed to add a step before the breading. I dipped each ring in egg white before dipping the rings in the breadcrumb mixture. That worked out well, and I'm not sure if buttermilk would have made the rings stickier...