Aiming to keep my dirt-dwelling life simple, special and sweet

Perfect Pairing - Peppered Crab Cakes and Baked Onion Rings

Yesterday, after my wonderful in-laws treated the husband and me to steamed blue crabs on the pier (as the breeze blew and the waves crashed on the shore...) I spent some time picking crab meat. I ended up with about 9 oz. and my kind in-laws let me take it home. Did I mention they are wonderful and kind (and not just because I love crab meat).


There's only one thing to make with crab meat - crab cakes. And although I love the Southern MD melted butter and pan fried variety, I turned to my online friend, Gina, for a skinny recipe. In her crab cakes, red pepper and low-fat Ritz crackers make the filling along with some egg and cilantro. 

I chose Gina's recipe for oven baked onion rings which were fantastic. I'm going to include the links here because I really didn't change too much. For what I did change, I've noted below the links.

Baked Lump Crab Cakes with Red Pepper
http://www.skinnytaste.com/2010/04/baked-lump-crab-cakes-with-red-pepper.html
  • I did not use scallions, but I did use onion salt instead of regular salt
  • I did not make or use the accompanying sauce - I really liked the flavor of the cakes
Low Fat Baked Onion Rings
http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/03/low-fat-baked-onion-rings.html
  • I used a yellow onion, which after cooking, was oh-so sweet
  • I did not have corn flakes so I crushed up some of my husband's Special K cereal
  • My local grocery store was out of buttermilk so I soaked the onion rings in milk instead - yet, I found that I needed to add a step before the breading. I dipped each ring in egg white before dipping the rings in the breadcrumb mixture. That worked out well, and I'm not sure if buttermilk would have made the rings stickier...

No comments: