Aiming to keep my dirt-dwelling life simple, special and sweet

Quick Quiche

It was so nice for a classmate of mine to give me a dozen eggs. She has chickens at her home and they lay TONS of eggs. This woman came to class last week with a dozen eggs for each participant, and I used some of them to make a ham and cheese quiche for my husband. He said that it was the best quiche that I have ever made, so I believe that's worth sharing here. You'll see that I have approximated some of the ingredients as they can be as big or small as you want them to be. And you can change the meat and cheese. You're the cook, do what you want!

The ladies that run our marina have a good technique that I will use next week when I head to class. Whenever someone gives you a dish of something good, return the dish with something from you. When I made the marina ladies a quiche in my baking dish, they gave the dish back with a wonderful winter soup. I think this is such a great practice, so next week along with the empty carton, I will have a quiche for my classmate. Hope she likes ham...

Quiche directions:

Deep dish ready-made pie crust 
6 eggs 
1 cup milk 
enough cubed or sliced up ham to cover the bottom of the crust
2 or more slices of swiss cheese


I measure the milk and then mix in the eggs within the measuring cup. Easy to pour into pie crust.

  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
  2. Cut up the ham that you will use. The squares of ham should be enough to layer the bottom of the pie crust. Recently, I used whatever I had left in the fridge, which was maybe four slices from a lunch meat container. Again, you can use as much or as little as you like. Just layer the ham in the crust, first. 
  3. Tear/cut up the swiss cheese slices and layer them on top of the ham. Leave some space between the cheese so the egg mixture will be able to get into the ham.
  4. Pour 1 cup of milk into the measuring cup and then add in the six eggs. Beat with a whisk until all the yolk is fully combined with the milk (Be careful, my measuring cup was quite full).
  5. Place the pie crust on a baking sheet. This will allow for easier transferring in and out of the oven, and catch any spills (should they happen, but they should not happen).
  6. Pour the egg/milk mixture into the pie crust, on top of the ham and cheese, directly on top of the middle. From the middle, the mixture will move to the edges and you'll be able to tell when there is enough mix in the crust. The pie crust should be filled to the top, but do not allow the egg/milk to spill over the edges. 
  7. Carefully place the quiche on the bottom rack of your oven and allow to cook for about 40 minutes, more or less. You will know that the quiche is ready when the crust edges have been browned, the center of the quiche is puffed up, and the quiche is beginning to separate from the crust edges.      
  8. Option - halfway through baking, I like to place another slice of swiss cheese (whole or torn-apart) on top of the cooking quiche. this way, the cheese doesn't get too brown by the end of baking time and creates a nice cheesy crust.    

Ham/swiss is on the right. I was also making a mushroom quiche, on the left.
 If you try this recipe, come back and let me know how you made your quiche. What meat/cheese did you use?

No comments: