Aiming to keep my dirt-dwelling life simple, special and sweet

Thanks for Love

"I was one of those fortunate individuals who grew up in a large, passionate, demonstrative Italian family where we were taught to love as naturally as we breathed and ate giant bowls of pasta!" - Leo Buscaglia,   http://www.peopleandpossibilities.com/interview.html

 

I was taught to love with small dumplings in chicken broth, buttered noodles, fried eggplant, pancakes with Karo syrup, and chocolate chip cookies (or rather, being allowed to sneak dough from the mixing bowl). Love traveled through learning how to paint ceramics, crochet blankets, going to the pool, and always being allowed to rock hard in the rocking chair. 

 

I believe we learn about love by those who show it to us. I've been lucky to come from a family that loves a lot in many ways. There are always good celebrations, cards in the mail, picture albums ready to look through, and hugs and kisses on the cheeks after a long time apart. My family does love right and for that I'm grateful. 

 

Happy to be home this week, I am seeing my grandma who has been in my life for 31 years but living well for almost 94. I think about all that she has seen and been through in her life, especially the not-so-good times. She faced hardship, doing without, and I'm sure, uncertainly about her future. Yet, to this day, she is loving and loved by all of us. I don't know whether or not she really knows how much she passed to her children, who then have passed it down to us (her seven grandchildren). We live our lives today the way we do because of what we received. 

 

I think it's important to think about how we live each day. I love Leo Buscaglia because he left behind a lot of knowledge and think-abouts for love. Love isn't a feeling, it's an action. You do it. That's true - think about people who say they love you but then forget to show it. It's the love actions that show how we feel, and Leo gave us a checklist to see how we are doing - The Love Quiz:

 

Asking yourself questions and answering them honestly is a good path to self-knowledge. In keeping with this idea, I'd like to propose a few end-of-the-day questions for each of us . . .


· Is anyone a little happier because I came along today?

· Did I leave any concrete evidence of my kindness, any sign of my love?

· Did I try to think of someone I know in a more positive light?

· Did I help someone to feel joy, to laugh, or at least, to smile?

· Have I attempted to remove a little of the rust that is corroding my relationships?

· Have I forgiven others for being less than perfect?

· Have I forgiven myself?

· Have I learned something new about life, living or love?

. Have I gone through the day without fretting over what I don't have & celebrating the things I do have?

 

If you are not satisfied with your answers, take heart. Tomorrow you get to start all over again! If you will it, this is one quiz you can never fail.

 

How well are you showing your love to the important people of your life? If you're not, remember that you can try to tomorrow. Maybe just one thing. I think it's a good thing to consider doing. I'm proof that it matters. My grandma never missed a birthday, holiday, important school-event, and created the day in which I hopped off of the school bus at the end of my street instantly smelling the chocolate chip cookies that were baking at my house. Still today, at 31, this one memory makes me feel so incredibly loved (maybe even more than it did as a child). 

 

I'm proof that love is remembered and appreciated. It matters. And I thank my grandma for teaching me this.


Grandma and my grandpa with my dad :)



I believe that this was before they were married.


With this one, I see where my nose came from.


 

1 comment:

nakedempire said...

What a beautiful post!!

so good to see you......glad ur home safely.....

NE